Thursday, April 10, 2008

Computers

As I was reading Joansie's blog I realized just how much our lives are attached to these silly computers. She was having a horrible week with all things electronic. I have just come off a similar series of events. My computer was over 6 years old. A very good one in the day. I use my computer every day for work and pleasure and it very seldom gets shut down. My hard drive decided it needed a long over due vacation and just up and quit. Now don't get me wrong; I seen it coming but was in total denial. I mean, after all, this is a good computer. I dust it twice a week and keep the screen clean. It wouldn't do anything to cause me distress. My whole life is on this hard drive. Well, the clunking and whizzing sounds kept getting worse. I couldn't back up the hard drive anymore. As a matter of fact, I couldn't rip a CD, save to file (at least the correct file) or send data to the printer. I told myself that it would hold on just a little longer or at least until I could really afford to get a new computer. Hmmm. I might have forgotten to mention that to the old one because right in the middle of my on line banking it happened....POOF! Gone. Totally without fanfare. No prior warning (other that the above mentioned stuff but really, now. Who would have thought?!). Nothing. I screamed. DH came to the room. "What's wrong?" "The d%#* computer quit." "Is that all?" "Is that f*%#^&@g all? Our whole life is on this thing. All the banking, my work files, the grand kids pictures. Gone!" He stood there a minute letting this all sink in. (Probably choosing his words well as he knows how I react to disasters) "Our whole world?" "Yes." Silence. Then "Get your coat. We're going to Circuit City." An hour and half later we walk into CC (yes we live that far away from civilization) and start the love/hate relationship with another computer. And guess what? Their tech support came to my house, set up the computer AND was able to retrieve most of the information off the old hard drive. Yippee! We are shackled at the ankle to another computer. Man, it feels good!

3 comments:

Joansie said...

Lucky girl! A new computer!!! After I had dial tone today, I did not get on the computer (DSL), I took off in my car to enjoy the sunshine, park somewhere nice and just knit. Enjoy the new computer!

Jill L said...

Thank goodnes you were able to save most of your hard drive. I hate computer problems!

Jill from 360

JUDICA said...

Hola Carla ,gracias por invitatrme a tu grupo ,hace dias intento contestar,como no se ingles ,hoy puse traductor ,para entender,,por suerte tenemos esta maravilla de internet ,para poder comunicarnos aunque hablemos diferentes idiomas!
saludos judith(alju